DynCorp International LLC. HAZMAT Specialist in KANDAHAR, Afghanistan
The Hazardous Material (HAZMAT) Specialist is responsible for the management of the Hazardous Waste Storage Area (HWSA) and responds to credible threats involving Chemical, Biological, and Radiological (CBR) incidents.
(Typical duties include the following, although specific duties vary by assignment or contract.)
- Manage the receipt, storage, and tracking of hazardous waste and place orders for supplies and equipment.
- Safely remove and dispose of hazardous materials and prepare worksite to ensure safety during removal.
- Maintain the HWSA in compliance with regulations, receive customers and visitors to the HWSA, answer questions and provide information on HWSA requirements.
- Perform weekly inventories, label drums and inspect deliveries of hazardous materials or hazardous waste.
- Complete waste profiles and update waste profile system.
- Correct waste manifests and provide guidance to customers on proper manifesting, labeling and packaging.
- Operate Material Handling Equipment (MHE), drive transport vehicles, off-load and up-load containers, label containers, perform housekeeping, conduct inspections and assessments.
- Serve as lead and mentor when working with other country nationals or resident HAZMAT workers.
- Assist during hazardous material spill response actions and clean up when required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills
- Skill in safely, effectively and promptly segregating, consolidating and neutralizing excess hazardous materials.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Fluent in reading, writing, speaking and understanding English.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Additional knowledge/skills may be required by contract or assignment
Experience & Education
- Two (2) or more years’ of experience working with hazardous waste, hazardous materials or equivalent.
- Associate’s degree in chemistry or similar field; may substitute two (2) additional years of experience in related field for each year of college.
- Experience in Middle East countries preferred.
- OSHA 40-hour Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) Certificate and applicable annual 8-hour refresher certificates; Foreign Nationals may substitute the following for the 40-hour HAZWOPER Certificate: Take and pass the company’s 24-hour or 40-hour training with required score of 80% and applicable annual 8-hour refresher certificates.
- Current driver’s license and proof of fork truck experience (such as previous license) preferred.
- Additional experience/education may be required by contract or assignment.
Physical Requirements/Working Environment
- Must be able to lift/push/pull minimum of fifty (50) pounds and move five hundred (500) pounds wheeled equipment.
- Living and working conditions at the assignment location could be remote and uncomfortable.
- Work may be performed in a non-climate controlled facility; long hours, exposure to weather and hazardous conditions.
- Personnel should be aware of moving on short notice and under adverse conditions.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
Primary Location: AFGHANISTAN-OCONUS-KANDAHAR
Job Posting: Nov 9, 2016, 2:32:33 PM
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Req ID: FNA1603953