Abt Associates Chief of Party in Afghanistan
The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Chief of Party to support the International Health Division in Afghanistan.
In 2010, social marketing activities were established in Afghanistan through the Afghan Social Marketing Organization (ASMO), a not-for-profit designed to integrate health and social marketing interventions to improve well-being and stimulate and increase private commercial sector participation.
An international project is working to strengthen the organizational capacity of ASMO in delivering high quality family planning, reproductive health and other services. The project supports ASMO in the three areas below to increase ASMO’s impact and sustainability:
- Increasing access to health products and services – through increasing geographical coverage of ASMO’s operations and by introducing additional products to expand ASMO’s technical areas of impact
- Increasing demand for health products and services – by supporting ASMO in developing, implementing and evaluating evidence based product marketing and behaviour change campaigns
- Strengthening ASMO’s governance structures and operating policies – through training and mentoring, strengthening ASMO’s Board of Directors (BoD), and supporting ASMO in updating, formalizing, and systematically implementing organizational policies and procedures
To further these objectives, the project seeks a qualified Chief of Party . The position requires experience in managing donor relations and reporting, organizational development and social marketing. The Chief of Party will be stationed at ASMO’s office in Kabul.
The project will have lean operations in country, and will work out of ASMO’s office in Kabul. The Chief of Party will be supported in country by a Senior Technical Advisor with significant experience in commercial marketing techniques applied in Afghanistan, leadership training and mentoring, and in strengthening the BoD of Afghan organizations. The project does not expect to have finance, administration or other technical personnel in country.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Serve as in-country point of contact for the project, including liaising with the donor, ASMO, project home office staff, and consultants. Serve as an advocate for social marketing and for the project with stakeholders.
- Lead development of work plans, budgets, annual reports, and project documents in close collaboration with the project’s home office team.
- Collaborate with home office and regional technical experts in identifying technical assistance needs, and in designing and scheduling practical training courses to strengthen ASMO’s application of social marketing techniques to on-going activities. Lead provision of day-to-day technical support to ASMO.
- With support from the Senior Technical Advisor, monitor implementation of social marketing activities, and collect and report data to track, inform project performance.
- Coordinate provision of technical assistance to strengthen ASMO’s organizational policies and governance structures.
- Perform other duties as may be required
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Business Administration, Finance, or other related filed
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years of relevant professional experience in public health, social or commercial marketing, advertising, or private sector health program or business management
- Experience developing project vision, aligning key stakeholders around that vision, and assuring that the vision is translated into implementable strategies
- Experience building technical capacity in social marketing
- Experience working in Afghanistan or other fragile state
- Understanding of international donor requirements and programs
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, with demonstrated attention to details.
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Experience interacting with host county governments and counterparts and international donor agencies at high levels preferred
- Experience in gender or working with underserved populations, including women preferred
- Ability to build staff capacity and transfer skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- 15+ years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience. This experience would include 1-5 years of management experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.